Saturday, January 14, 2012

Staying Warm in a Chilly House

Yesterday I was able to spend a considerable amount of time working on my "projectspace" (and my room, which is all the same space, really). I was able to dismantle 3 of the 4 Ikea closets that I didn't need. I don't currently have a picture available at the moment but I will post one soonish.

I put the 4th closet in the middle of the room to divide it into two separate-feeling spaces. The closet side faces the bedroom side, and the side of the closet will have my long mirror on it. I am hoping that command strips will be able to hold the mirror to the side of the closet without damaging the closet. I was able to bring in the majority of my bedroom set, a beautiful set that was given to me by my grandma (and needs to be re-stained, as it has barely made it out alive after 10+ moves). The long dresser with the mirror really opens up the bedroom portion and goes great with the log walls of my cabin. The taller dresser I put in the corner of the other portion of the room to hold craft/DIY/office supplies and whatever else. I also was able to put my art table in front of the window, as well as my bookshelf on the other wall. It doesn't make a lot of sense in writing, but a picture will do the trick. :)

Anyway, I wanted to write today about how to stay warm in a cold house. I live in the northern part of the country, and I live in a rustic log cabin built in 1935. It is a fabulous place to live, quirky and fun and completely fits my personality. It does not, however, stay very warm on cold winter nights (or days for that matter). Since it was built with logs by hand, it doesn't have insulation and there are lots of air leaks in the walls, doors and window frames (i.e. I can see straight through to the outside world in some places). It has a furnace, but the poor thing works overtime to keep the house simply from freezing over when it is in the single digits. I have been trying to find creative ways to stay warm and keep the house warm as well, and I thought I'd share them with you all.

1. Heated mattress pad. These are amazing. Much better than heated blankets, because with a heated blanket, half the heat escapes off of the top and never gets to you. Heated mattress pads are underneath your bottom sheet and heat you from the "ground up". Pair that with a bunch of blankets and you are toasty warm in bed!

2. The obvious... electric space heater! These work wonders when you are in a room working on something and need an extra boost of warmth.

3. Turn ceiling fans on low. This helps push the warm air that has risen to the ceiling down to you.

4. Use a fireplace if you have one. If you can get a good fire going, it can heat the place up wonderfully.

5. Light candles. Candles are surprisingly warm and if you light enough of them, can generate a bit of heat. Just be careful about where you place them, and don't leave them unattended.

6. Wear tights. Buy the cheap, opaque ones (not see-through) and wear one pair underneath your clothes, or even layer them if one isn't enough.

7. Put plastic on the windows and leaky doors you don't use often.

8. Clear plastic shower curtains make great window curtains. The thick plastic keeps the cold air out, and since it is clear, it will let sunlight in for solar heat. When it's dark out, cover the plastic with your normal curtains. A dark-colored rug on the floor where the sun shines through will hold the heat during the night.

9. Do a lot of baking. And when you are done, leave the oven open while it cools down.


10. Use flannel sheets.

11. Wear lots of layers. The ones closest to your skin should be the tightest. Many layers are better than one thick layer.

12. Eat and drink warm foods and beverages. Hot tea is good for you and will keep you warm as well!

13. Don't use the bathroom fans as often. The fan will bring in cold air.

14. Use a humidifier. Humid air generally feels warmer than dry air, and is also good for your throat.

15. Make sure all your heat registers and ducts are clear and open to push out warm air.

16. Use rugs! Especially if you have hardwood floors, like me. It can be a rude "awakening" to get up out of your toasty bed and put your bare feet on the cold floor. Also, if your feet are cold, you will be cold.

Enjoy, and stay warm!!

No comments:

Post a Comment