Friday, January 20, 2012

pianos, flowers and red.

My first completed project in the projectspace!

My house is decorated in music. When I moved in, the kitchen was red, and the place is small enough that it means the living room and dining room is also red since it's all the same room. I like red, so I decided to go with the whole red theme. My house is far from being beautiful, right now it's a hodge podge of different things that I could afford for the functionality, not the visual appeal. My couch is a white, grey and pink ugly floral. You can imagine how wonderful that looks in my red themed log cabin. Haha... it's terrible. Couch cover anyone? I'm not handy with a needle and thread generally, so I've been keeping an eye out for a red couch cover. Haven't found one yet, so I might be stuck with dark brown. Which would be okay. Anything but the white, grey and pink ugly floral.

Anyway, so this is step one to getting my house somewhat coordinated!


This is a picture I drew of a piano back in 2010 that was originally intended for a red bathroom, but I never got a frame for it so it's just been in storage. I have always liked the picture, and wanted to do something creative with it so I could hang it above the fireplace in my cabin.

I bought a canvas that was slightly smaller than the picture and used tacky glue to adhere the picture to the canvas. I wrapped it around the canvas, and then nailed the back of the picture into the canvas boards. You can also see that I took nails and nailed all around the front. I love the look of heavy nails! I also took black acrylic paint and painted all the edges, and then brushed it on the first 1.5 inches of the front of the picture. I finished it off by sewing the flowers to the front in bunches tied together with red ribbon.

It ended up being a little smaller than I had originally thought, so I'll have to "beef up" the mantle a little with other art, etc. It's fun and it didn't take very long! :)

1 comment: