Tuesday, January 24, 2012

DIY cd storage book

Finally did one of the projects I've been wanting to do! Some of you may hate me and call me a "book-wrecker" but I don't care. I love books, which is why I loved this idea so much. :)

I have been trying to find storage ideas for my backup discs for photoshoots (I'm a photographer... and there's no way I can keep everyone's photoshoots on my laptop and I can't afford a second hard drive at the moment). After looking at ideas for boxes, etc. I ran across this:


http://www.instructables.com/id/CD-or-DVD-Storage--Book-/

I decided to give it a try myself. I already had a zip-up cd sleeve book that was really an eyesore and didn't store well.

I took a trip over to the thrift store and picked up a used copy of The American College Dictionary, which so happened to be the perfect size and thickness to match my yucky cd sleeve book. It's a dictionary, so it's a neutral-looking book to go on any bookshelf. And, when the project was said and done, I'd have about a thousand old printed dictionary pages to use in other projects. :)

The double-stick tape I used was Ace Hardware's carpet tape. It was the cheapest, sturdy double-stick tape I could find.


I set to work on my project. I did not count the pages as the original person did, I just eyeballed it. I also didn't go from back to front, I went from front to back, and if you try this out, don't do that. My pages are somewhat uneven. If I do it again, I'll be going from back to front. When I did this, I did not cut the excess tape, I just used it to further re-inforce my cd pages.

Anyway, now I have a not-so-sore looking cd holder that I can store on my bookshelf!



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment