Thursday, August 2, 2012

10 Essentials for Every Kitchen

I come from a long line of kitchen gadget lovers. In fact, if you snoop around my grandma's kitchen, she has gadgets that don't even belong in a kitchen. However, if you ask her why it's there, she will give you a quick explanation of the handy way she uses it in the kitchen along with the highly (non)technical term she has dubbed for it.

Anyway, I have a few essential gadgets for my kitchen. Things I couldn't live without if I did not have them.

A good kitchen timer. It's good to have a timer that is accurate and loud. Yeah, sure, you can use your phone, but what happens when you leave it in the next room? Or it dies? That's why I like to have a separate timer. I love my little chicken.






A small whisk. Always comes in handy when you're mixing a small batch of something in a small bowl. Also, you don't have to get your big whisk dirty if you use the small one and you need the big one at the same time.




A small sift. Has multiple uses. You can strain things, drain things, and sift to your heart's desire.








A dough cutter. I love mine. I use it every time I need to make pie crust, and it works wonders. Everyone always asks why my pie crust is so great. Well, crisco and a dough cutter.







A grippy thing. No, I don't know the correct term, but I do know that it is beyond all handyness. I use it all the time when I'm trying to get a jar open and there aren't any men around.







A magnetic fridge clip. Holds recipes, important papers and shopping lists right in front where I will see them and remember them. I use mine all the time. In fact, I need to buy some more.







Ok, I have no idea what this is called. I got it as a gift from my grandma for Christmas and it has worked wonders on my dirty dishes. It scrapes off stuck on food like nobody's business. I don't own a dishwasher, so I burn calories by washing dishes. This helps. A lot.





A small sink dish. I use mine to dry out sponges and hold rings while I wash dishes.









A good solid pair of kitchen scissors. This awesome pair (Chicago Cutlery) come apart for easy cleanup. They've also got a couple of really cool gadgets built in.







A baked potato bag. This handy little kitchen gadget bakes fluffy, hot potatoes in your microwave in minutes. This is great for hot days when you don't want to heat the oven up, or for when you want a baked potato and don't want to wait an hour for the potato to bake. The cool part? It can cook up to 4 potatos in your microwave. Just clean them off, put them in the bag, and there you go!




Those are my essential kitchen gadgets, what are yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment