Wednesday, February 22, 2012

results and recipes from last friday's dinner

Last Thursday (I think?) I posted about a dinner I was making for my parents... well... it was a success!!

I wanted to share with you all pictures and the soup recipe I used. I apologize for the picture quality as I was only using my phone that evening. My phone has a painfully terrible picture quality.

 Dinner place setting!



 The whole table. Kind of ugly, but it was the best I could do with what I had. That is sparkling white grape juice... nothing alcoholic for the record.



 The lovely pie! Which turned out good.



The yummy wild rice soup, as it was cooking! I couldn't help but taste test it. And boy, was it tasty! Easy to make as well. :)


Here is the recipe for the soup:

I modified it a little, and so I am sharing with you my modified version. It is mostly dairy-free (if you don't want to use soy, just switch the soy for heavy cream). 

Minnesota Wild Rice Soup
Ingredients:
2 med. stalks celery, sliced
1 med. onion, chopped
1 small green bell pepper, chopped
1 small can of corn
1 small can of chopped green beans
2 russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 Tbsp. butter
1 1/2 c. cooked wild rice
3 Tbsp. All-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 1/2 c. water
1 10 1/2 oz. can of chicken broth (I used a 14 oz. can instead, as the grocery store didn't carry 10 oz cans. It worked out better for me to use the 14 oz. anyway)
1 c. soy cream (I used Silk plain coffee creamer... just like cream!)
1/4 c. parsley

Boil the potatoes in a pot with the water and can of chicken broth. Cook and stir celery, onion, bell pepper and butter in a 3 qt sauce pan until celery is tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper, corn, green beans. Add wild rice, potatoes, water and broth. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in remaining ingredients. Heat until hot (not boiling). Makes 5 servings.

1 comment:

  1. The soup was AWESOME!! Pie was too! Heck, everything was great!

    THANKS!! :o) -Mom

    ReplyDelete