Monday, October 8, 2012

diy fire-starter log

Alright, I know. It's been a while. I got busy with work... and had no time for creativity. :(

But... good news! I was able to test out a project I pinned on pinterest a while ago and never actually tried (mostly 'cause I was building up supplies).

Here's the "instructable" I pinned, and I have posted my results below.

 http://www.instructables.com/id/Java-Fire-Log-In-A-Used-Paper-Coffee-Cup/

As stated in the comments posted in the instructable, you need to be careful and keep checking the cup to make sure you do not get a wax fire in your microwave. I actually did not need to completely melt my wax, as I stirred it with a stick to mix with the coffee grounds, it melted eventually on it's own. I used old candle wax. Also, I used brown sugar instead of molasses and it appeared to work just fine. Oh, and I didn't press it down, I figured with the amount of wax I used it would hold together nicely. My coffee grounds were dried in the oven on a cookie sheet and placed into a gallon ziploc bag awaiting my creation of a java log. :)

Here's my "java log":



I decided to make mine a little smaller (my mix filled this 12 oz cup a little over halfway) because I want to use mine as a fire-starter for my fireplace, because I had a particularly difficult batch of firewood that did not want to start.

Here it is just lit:




And getting going...






The java log lasted for about 45 minutes or an hour, and lit the wood up very nicely. Didn't have to do a thing except take 5 seconds and light the paper cup. Will definitely be making more of these... so easy to start a fire. :) Obviously, do not cook over the wax... don't want your food tasting like waxy coffee. :)

In the comments on the original link, someone suggested filling up egg carton slots with the mix and cutting them apart to make little starters. I wonder if this would be better suited for a fireplace...?

No comments:

Post a Comment